Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Sabina J.

Last time I decided to work on one of my newer trees. A yamadori Juniperus sabina. Because of the unpractical position in it was standing in the pot took some time for me to figure out in which position to put it so the tree could make its full potential. At some point I even thought of making a cascade or semi-cascade.
At the end I decided for the relatively usual upright position.

So the first task to do was to clean the deadwood. There is a beutifull natural shari going down almost the entire lenght of the trunk. And also some nice natural jins.

Some new shari connected with the old one.

After the work on the deadwood I needed to thin out the foilage mass and to make a general branch selection. Which was followed by wiring.

This is the result so far. As you can see I had a problem. Because of the angle in which the tree is planted in the pot you can not see the trunk all the way to the nebari. I could repot it or atleast remove the upper part of the soil to reveal it but for safety reasons and also because I'm not in a rush I decided to do it next year. Well, because of that I could not propperly style the lowest right branch. Or let me say it this way. I'm guessing it will be positioned a bit lower and more to the trunk in the future when the pot is not in the way. Also as you can see there is a mess of jins on the left side. And they cross each other which they can't. Two are natural and one is new, made out of a branch I didn't need in the design. I will also decide which one I will keep after I repot the tree.

Finished tree on white background.

Side and back views.

1 comment:

AM said...

very nice tree and work Nik!! Congratulations

AM Bonsai