I wanted to spice my day a little with the initial styling of my new dogwood I got in a trade yesterday. For starters, I took it outh of the pot to take a look at the nebari. I hoped it will help me to decide upon the decision of the front - it wasn't much, so it didn't. Nothing was done to the roots though. Right after the inspection the tree was placed into a bit bigger pot, so the soil level can be a little higher than before.
After the made decision of what side to take as the front, I made the inition selection of what branches to keep. This is the result so far. In a couple of weeks I will do some carving on the deadwood and wire the tree.
Finally some things started to move in the matter of bonsaism. I took as much out of yesterday as I could. In the morning I took part in the first club workshop of the year, where I met some great old friends, and in the afternoon I went for some yamadori digging. I found three prunus mahaleb, which I will have to protect from the cold for at least a week or so. It is still freezing in our aera.
Oh, and I don't have thet oleander anymore. I traded it for a nice dogwood.
Today I repotted fifty new cuttings of chinese juniper (mostly itoigawa), japanese maple 'Deshojo' and some trident maples acer ginnala. Each in their own pot/place. These will be for future bonsai or will be used for grafting.